[Best viewed with Chrome]

Monday, July 22, 2013

Clean Eating: Homemade Granola - Banana Chia Seed Granola


I LOVE granola in the morning with some yogurt and fresh berries, but I usually only eat it every so often because I try to avoid all the sugar and processed ingredients found in store bought granola. That was until I found out how EASY it is to make your own granola at home. Seriously - you do not have to be a cook or even remotely good in the kitchen to make a batch of your own granola. Another perk is that homemade granola can be very healthy and a nice substitute if you have gotten into an oatmeal rut!

Now, I'm going to tell you how I made mine, but honestly, you can mix up whatever you like in this. I didn't add any sugar because as I mentioned, I try to avoid sugar in the morning. However, if you want to add a little sugar  (brown sugar would be a nice touch) or extra spices, dried fruits, or nuts that will work too!

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups of Old Fashioned Oats
  • 2 Tablespoon Organic Coconut Oil (or you could use Olive Oil)
  • 1/2 Cup Organic Raw Walnuts
  • 2 Small Bananas
  • 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
  • Generous Amount of Cinnamon
  • A Dash of Nutmeg




Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Make sure the oats are a little bit wet either with banana or the oil.
  3. Spread out the mix onto a tray lined with parchment paper.
  4. Bake for 20-30 minutes, but keep stirring the ingredients every 10 minutes or so. This is to make sure that the top-facing oats do not get burnt.
  5. Take out of the oven and let it cool a few minutes before storing!
* Tip: I burnt a couple of my oats the first time around because my oats were too dry and they were not all sticking together (I only used one banana and one tablespoon oil). That's why adjusted the recipe to add an extra banana and a little more oil. Make sure that everything is sticky before popping it in the oven! I also found I needed only 20-25 minutes in my oven rather than the full 30 minutes!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment